Paddle Shifters

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Ok just read an article showing the new Bronco Raptor with paddle shifters. Can see them in a race car on a road course, not sure if I am keen on them on an off road vehicle. What are y’all’s thoughts?

jzweedyk

Reaction score
When I have the Raptor in 4 low, I really don't like the way the transmission shifts, so I always use the paddle shifters in 4 low. I saw the same thing and I was happy that they included it. On the Raptor you can also use them to lock out gears, which works well going down a steep incline to get more engine braking. Locking out gears is better than downshifting when going down hill because the computer doesn't rev the engine for the downshift. Going downhill, revving is not helpful. When you lock out gears it just down shifts. My 2 cents.

BroncoZilla

Reaction score
When I have the Raptor in 4 low, I really don't like the way the transmission shifts, so I always use the paddle shifters in 4 low. I saw the same thing and I was happy that they included it. On the Raptor you can also use them to lock out gears, which works well going down a steep incline to get more engine braking. Locking out gears is better than downshifting when going down hill because the computer doesn't rev the engine for the downshift. Going downhill, revving is not helpful. When you lock out gears it just down shifts. My 2 cents.

Never thought about doing that. Make a big difference using the shifters in low?

I wouldn't doubt that the Bronco will have the same setup with the paddle shifters as the do in the f150 raptors.

jzweedyk

Reaction score
When you are in 4 low and rock crawling, you really don't want a surprise shift. I like to control when it shifts.

jzweedyk

Reaction score
More will use the Raptor for that than the standard Bronco. Living in Moab I see a lot of Jeeps going off road, so it makes sense that a lot of Broncos will do the same. Probably only 10-30% of owners will go off road though.

Members online

No members online now.