Help, Any mechanics here?

lawber

Reaction score
I have a deep affection for my 2023 Bronco Raptor which I recently had the Whipple intercooler, tune, and blow-off valve installed by a trusted shop. However, I have been encountering some issues and could use some guidance. It's worth mentioning that the shop is highly reputable and frequently performs the same installations.

During my first weekend getaway to the high country, while traveling uphill at a speed of around 75 MPH, I suddenly noticed a check engine light along with a wrench icon. Unfortunately, I didn't have the Whipple tune box with me at that time, so I couldn't gather any error codes. I texted the shop and they suggested double-checking the fuse box to ensure all fuses were properly set. When I restarted the car, the warning lights disappeared, and I carried on my journey. However, on another hill during the journey back home, the lights reappeared. They turned off momentarily when I stopped the vehicle, but soon came back on. Upon reaching home, I discovered the error codes P0299 00 E8 and P05A1 00 6D. The same issue occurred again with the error codes P0299 00 65 and P05A1 00 6D. I returned the car to the shop, and they verified that everything was secured tightly, suspecting the blow-off valve as the culprit. Eventually, the blow-off valve was reverted to the stock version. Everything seemed fine until my recent road trip to the Bronco off rodeo in Vegas. On the way up, the issue occurred four times, and twice on the way back. To address this problem, I now carry the tune box with me to read and clear the error codes. Interestingly, the codes were consistent throughout the trip except for the last two digits, which varied as follows:

P0299 00 E5
P05A1 00 6D

P0299 00 AF
P05A1 00 2F

P0299 00 E6
P05A1 00 2F

Following conversations between the shop and the manufacturer, they suspect that the OEM Turbo might be at fault. They plan to conduct a smoke test to identify any potential leaks. If that doesn't provide any significant findings, they will revert the car to its stock configuration and have advised me to take it to the dealer. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the turbo is the issue since these problems only occur during road trips and specifically when ascending at higher speeds. Both the shop and the manufacturer have excellent reputations. I consulted a Ford mechanic who informed me that they haven't encountered any turbo failures in the Bronco Raptor, although they did mention some issues with the GEN 2 ecoboost. Naturally, I'm hopeful that the resolution will be straightforward. However, my wife has been giving me a hard time about modifying the vehicle, despite the reputable sources involved. Any suggestions or assistance is greatly appreciated.

If it were indeed a problem with the turbo, wouldn't the issue occur consistently rather than solely during road trips? I haven't experienced these problems while driving in the city.

KevinO

Reaction score
P0299 is turbo underboost and P05A1 has to do with the active grill air shudder position sensor. This grill is in front of the intercooler.

Underboost could contribute to a problem with the BOV but reinstalling the OEM unit should rule that out. From what I've seen, installing the new IC required removing and reinstalling the active grill. I'd look to see if there is anything interfering with the movement of the grill's shudders. P05A1 could indicate they are not at the commanded position.
It sounds like you are able to replicate the errors. Set your dash up to show boost and make note of the boost when P0299 hits again. Or use a logging function like in Dash Command or other similar apps to log data as you drive. It'd be interesting to see if boost is truly dropping.