Is the 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor a Good SUV? 5 Things We Like, 4 We Don’t

BRap Grey Front view.jpeg

This is an article on Cars.com basically describing their pros and cons experience of the BRap.

With the launch of the reinvented Bronco for 2021, Ford resurrected more than just retro styling cues from the original 1966 model. Like the first Bronco, the new incarnation presents serious off-road buyers with an alternative to the iconic Jeep Wrangler, and arguably one that is a tad more civilized and high tech. Now, for 2022, Ford has upped the ante with the Bronco Raptor.

Like its F-150 Raptor sibling, the Bronco Raptor is meant to be an off-road performance machine, with extras such as more horsepower, an upgraded suspension and a wider track. The result is a much more capable Bronco, and one better equipped to do battle with Jeep’s Wrangler Rubicon 392.

Changes from the standard Bronco are so extensive that the two look very different, and the Raptor performs notably better in both on- and off-road driving. The combination of added power, a reworked suspension and electronic wizardry for enhanced performance transform the Raptor into a much more capable, yet agreeable, machine for day-to-day driving.

We recently spent some time with the amped-up Bronco and came away impressed. However, there’s always room for improvement. For a closer look at the 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor, hit the link above to read Brian Normile’s complete review. For a quick look, read on — here are five things we like about the 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor, and four we don’t:

Things We Like​

1. More Oats​

BRap Grey in desert.jpeg

The Bronco Raptor packs a lot more punch than lesser trims thanks to a 418-horsepower, twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6. Paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission, the Raptor is quick if not head-snappingly fast, with abundant torque for rock crawling, towing and more. Towing capacity jumps to 4,500 pounds compared to a regular Bronco — a bump of some 1,000 pounds.

2. Added Capability Underneath​

Some of the biggest upgrades to the Raptor require some crawling around underneath. There’s a significantly upgraded suspension that includes beefier components from the F-150 Raptor, along with more robust steering components, huge 37-inch BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires, and more than 8 inches of increased track front and rear.

3. Polite On-Road Manners​

The suspension upgrades make the Raptor a more capable off-roader, to be sure, but also result in better on-road manners. Street handling and steering feel are improved over the standard Bronco, and bigger brakes do a commendable job of bringing this 5,700-plus-pound beast to a halt.

4. It Looks the Part​

BRap Grey rear view with water.jpeg

Styling is subjective, but there’s no question the Bronco Raptor looks the part. Huge fender flares help accommodate its wider track and oversize tires, while fender vents, a functional hood-mounted heat extractor and a more aggressive grille add to the look. If all of that isn’t enough, available bold graphics should do the trick.

5. Off-Highway Star​

With its upgraded powertrain and suspension, increased ground clearance and aggressive approach and departure angles, the Bronco Raptor excels off-road. It feels surprisingly nimble during low-speed maneuvers, and the added suspension travel, combined with an adaptive suspension, help make it feel remarkably controlled while blasting through the desert at speed

Things We Don’t Like​

1. Sound Judgment​

BRap interior view from back seat.jpeg

As potent as the new powertrain is, the aural experience is somewhat of a disappointment. The twin-turbo V-6 is powerful enough and Sport mode adds aggressive blips of throttle during downshifts, but the soundtrack just isn’t as satisfying as a throaty V-8. There’s also a fair bit of wind and road noise, some of which we’ll let slide because it can be chalked up to a feature we like — the removable doors and roof.

2. View From the Helm​

Thick windshield pillars restrict the view to the sides when cornering, especially in tight maneuvers on- or off-road. The huge, tailgate-mounted full-size spare tire and third brakelight create an obstruction big enough to block much of the view behind the Raptor, hiding entire vehicles on the highway.

3. Thirst for Adventure​

Few off-roaders are likely to base their vehicle choices on EPA fuel economy estimates, but in an era of record gas prices, it’s worth noting the Bronco Raptor is going to cost you big at the pump. An EPA-estimated 15/16/15 mpg city/highway/combined is made more painful by Ford’s recommendation for premium fuel. However, buyers can take heart in knowing those figures beat the Wrangler Rubicon 392, which also prefers premium.

4. Wide Load​

BRap Grey Side:Front view.jpeg

The Bronco Raptor is some 7 inches wider than a Wrangler, which can make a big difference not only while rock crawling, but maneuvering in and out of the local grocery store parking lot. It’s worth noting that those added marker lights are not just there to look cool: As is the case with the F-150 Raptor, they’re a federal requirement due to the Bronco Raptor’s extra width.

Attachments

• BRap Grey in desert.jpeg
    BRap Grey in desert.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 145
  • BRap Grey rear view with water.jpeg
    BRap Grey rear view with water.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 125

AJB

Reaction score
After drivng the the Braptor will overr 40K miles over the last 1.5 years I can say, this is an incredable vehicle and very capable. The +'s greatly out weigh any -'s. Handling, peformance, ride, comfort and capability are all there! the added with has way more positives than most people give it credit for.

Rick

Reaction score
Great report that I don’t doubt in the least! Just VERY frustrating wait for year and still no VIN.

raptorusmaximus

Reaction score
sorry to sound like a curmudgion overall I like the hardware, the suspension is truly amazing.
What really makes me dislike the vehicle is the software choices....

- things like losing all the settings when you shut it off, it makes me think it was intended as a rental. In fact it always displays the menu in the dash regardless so I have to select a view every time I get in. Do I really need to see a notification that I'm buckled in? I buckled, I know I'm buckled in.

- no perfect goat mode, sport downshifts too aggressively for everyday driving and normal mode wallows and shifts too soft and it tends to stick in low gears too long....I'm going to wear out the upshift paddle.
- the dash is way too busy, I don't need to see the some representation of a spinning driveshaft to know I'm in 2wd. I'm ok with an analog dash in what is clearly an off road truck....this is not the millennium falcon.

- too small of a gas tank, same mileage as my gen 1 with 10 less gallons = 250 miles till empty, and because of the giant muffler that try's and fails to sound v8ish there's no room for an aux tank like the old bronco's had

- the engine works REALLY, REALLY hard to make the truck do what the 6.2 makes my (same weight) gen 1 raptor do with ease, like 0-60...
- I was planning on keeping this for a long time but I don't have confidence that the engine will go 200k without new turbo's and trans etc..

If I could swap the engine for a v8, swap the dash get rid of all the software crap I'd lay the money down and do it in a heartbeat.

Johnny Raptor

Reaction score
I agree with everything except the comparisons to the Gen 1. Completely different vehicles, so my expectations were different, I guess.

Hadn’t really thought about the turbos lasting 200k, but my Gen 1’s motor only made it to 190k before dropping a valve. Of course, it was the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a Whipple on a fresh Ford reman motor, so now the 2 vehicles aren’t even in the same ballpark motor-wise😄.

I’m with you on the shocks for sure! If there was a way to retrofit the Gen 1 with these new Fox shocks, I’d sign up in a heartbeat. They’re the best I’ve ever used by far.

raptorusmaximus

Reaction score
My gen 1 and the braptor weigh almost the same, so its a matter of how hard the engine works to get the vehicle up to speed. it's almost comical 0-60 the V8 never gets above 3k and the 6 popper is screaming at 4-5k with the same pull and about the same 0-60 time. There's no way I can see this truck making 190k without major repairs of some kind, it just revs to high and works too hard.....
BUT, fords engine choice aside, it's all the other stuff that drives me crazy every time I drive it.....

Johnny Raptor

Reaction score
This is a good discussion!

When comparing the 2 vehicles, I guess I just expect the 3.0 V6 to behave exactly as it does because it makes sense to me. It's got half the displacement of, and 2 less cylinders than the 6.2 V8, yet it makes similar HP. It's GOT to work harder to produce it. What did surprise me is how similar the mileage is between the two. In stock trim, both are around 14mpg on the highway. I expected the Bronco to do a little better than that.

I'm with you on the other stuff, though. None of it makes me hate the Bronco because that's just not possible, but the gas tank size aggravates me. When I'm in Travel Mode, you'd think I was leading The Cannonball Run and stopping every 250 miles seems insane. And for whatever stupid reason, having to press the OK button to clear the seatbelt warning just plain pisses me off!:ROFLMAO:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The thing that I didn't like about my Braptor was that I am so used to leg room space in the back of my 2018 F Raptor and was shocked to see how little space there was in the Bronco in general. I was hoping that my late Braptor could have been a nice long trip type of SUV that I could take my kids in. It could I guess, but was hoping it would have alot more leg room.

@Johnny Raptor @raptorusmaximus besides the engine discussion you are having together, do you guys feel the BRaptor would be a great vehicle to take your family on a long road trip?

Johnny Raptor

Reaction score
The thing that I didn't like about my Braptor was that I am so used to leg room space in the back of my 2018 F Raptor and was shocked to see how little space there was in the Bronco in general. I was hoping that my late Braptor could have been a nice long trip type of SUV that I could take my kids in. It could I guess, but was hoping it would have alot more leg room.

@Johnny Raptor @raptorusmaximus besides the engine discussion you are having together, do you guys feel the BRaptor would be a great vehicle to take your family on a long road

Depends on the trip, I guess. 2-3 people is fine, but 4 people with lots of gear for an extended trip is a tight squeeze.

raptorusmaximus

Reaction score

@Johnny Raptor @raptorusmaximus besides the engine discussion you are having together, do you guys feel the BRaptor would be a great vehicle to take your family on a long road trip?
certainly not in the back seats.... there's very little airflow in the back so if its cold out they freeze in the back. not much room to move around either. The wind noise will start getting you you as well after listening to it for a while...bring noise cancalling head phones.

Grey Goose

Reaction score
certainly not in the back seats.... there's very little airflow in the back so if its cold out they freeze in the back. not much room to move around either. The wind noise will start getting you you as well after listening to it for a while...bring noise cancalling head phones.

So you wouldn't take your family on a 6 hour trip?

jeffer

Reaction score
sorry to sound like a curmudgion overall I like the hardware, the suspension is truly amazing.
What really makes me dislike the vehicle is the software choices....

- things like losing all the settings when you shut it off, it makes me think it was intended as a rental. In fact it always displays the menu in the dash regardless so I have to select a view every time I get in. Do I really need to see a notification that I'm buckled in? I buckled, I know I'm buckled in.

- no perfect goat mode, sport downshifts too aggressively for everyday driving and normal mode wallows and shifts too soft and it tends to stick in low gears too long....I'm going to wear out the upshift paddle.
- the dash is way too busy, I don't need to see the some representation of a spinning driveshaft to know I'm in 2wd. I'm ok with an analog dash in what is clearly an off road truck....this is not the millennium falcon.

- too small of a gas tank, same mileage as my gen 1 with 10 less gallons = 250 miles till empty, and because of the giant muffler that try's and fails to sound v8ish there's no room for an aux tank like the old bronco's had

- the engine works REALLY, REALLY hard to make the truck do what the 6.2 makes my (same weight) gen 1 raptor do with ease, like 0-60...
- I was planning on keeping this for a long time but I don't have confidence that the engine will go 200k without new turbo's and trans etc..

If I could swap the engine for a v8, swap the dash get rid of all the software crap I'd lay the money down and do it in a heartbeat.
Great points, although I love the sound of the downshifts and the high-rev engine. Would never buy one of these for a daily driver though. Just a toy for me :)
Also love the R button to get rid of auto start/stop and immediately put it in sport mode with soft suspension and loud exhaust. Gas tank could be larger!

What really bothered me about this rig was the stupid junk subwoofer with the supposedly upgraded B&O system. Have taken care of this with an infinity Kappa 8” in its place, and a 500 watt amp to run it. Plus J&L to replace the B&O’s.

Have never driven a Gen 1 Raptor but would like to.