Hello from SoCal and Bronco Raptor

wzpilot

Reaction score
Hello from SoCal - I received my Bronco Raptor about a month ago and have already found this forum to be very helpful. So far, I have had Xpel PPF applied to the entire truck (painted surfaces), and installed the JB4 tuner. I have the Whipple Mega Cooler and the Foutz front-end leveling kit in hand but have yet to install them. The photo is of my Bronco Raptor and my 2013 Raptor pickup I purchased new in 2012.

Braptor & Raptor.jpg

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Hello from SoCal - I received my Bronco Raptor about a month ago and have already found this forum to be very helpful. So far, I have had Xpel PPF applied to the entire truck (painted surfaces), and installed the JB4 tuner. I have the Whipple Mega Cooler and the Foutz front-end leveling kit in hand but have yet to install them. The photo is of my Bronco Raptor and my 2013 Raptor pickup I purchased new in 2012.

View attachment 1770

Awesome! Welcome to the forum. Is that Cactus Grey.

OP
OP
W

wzpilot

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, it is Cactus Grey. It’s an interesting color that looks slightly different in different lighting, and I like it a lot.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome! Excellent color choice on your BRap. What benefits have you noticed with your JB4 tuner?

OP
OP
W

wzpilot

Reaction score
Hi there, and thanks! I love your profile photo - what a great shot and a great truck! I just installed the JB4 last weekend, so my driving since then has been a bit limited. What I can say is that the truck feels more responsive, and I suspect that there is some performance gain, although, with only 300 miles on it, I haven't pushed it too hard yet. My previous daily driver was a 2013 Supercharged Raptor with the JDM 700 kit on it. Coming from that to the Braptor was quite a change in the performance category. If you haven't seen the Lethal Performance videos on the JB4, there is one where they go through the installation (which was a breeze) and also run it through some unscientific tests in different modes. I think they have now posted some dyno videos, but I am not sure about that. Supposedly, the JB4 and the Whipple MegaCooler combined will make a noticeable difference. I haven't installed the Mega Cooler yet, as I am trying to find out more about the CCM recalibration, which might be a dealer item. Hope this helps!

Wick

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi there, and thanks! I love your profile photo - what a great shot and a great truck! I just installed the JB4 last weekend, so my driving since then has been a bit limited. What I can say is that the truck feels more responsive, and I suspect that there is some performance gain, although, with only 300 miles on it, I haven't pushed it too hard yet. My previous daily driver was a 2013 Supercharged Raptor with the JDM 700 kit on it. Coming from that to the Braptor was quite a change in the performance category. If you haven't seen the Lethal Performance videos on the JB4, there is one where they go through the installation (which was a breeze) and also run it through some unscientific tests in different modes. I think they have now posted some dyno videos, but I am not sure about that. Supposedly, the JB4 and the Whipple MegaCooler combined will make a noticeable difference. I haven't installed the Mega Cooler yet, as I am trying to find out more about the CCM recalibration, which might be a dealer item. Hope this helps!

Wick
Thanks! I did see that Lethal Performance video where they dyno'd it through the different settings. Looks like a decent bump on level 3 with pump gas. I assume that is what you are running since it seems like levels 4 and 5 require higher octane fuel?

I know what you mean by "performance difference". These BRaptors are pretty quick, and they sure ride nice, but when you are accustomed to 700HP it's tough to get super excited about how quick they are. The Raptor in my profile pic is roughly 450HP at the wheel, and it has always been pretty fast for a big truck on 40" tires. However, I also have a TRX on 37s and I laugh every time I drive it because of how ridiculously fast it is for a big truck. I'm sure you feel the same way coming out of your Gen 1 Raptor with the JDM 700 kit.

OP
OP
W

wzpilot

Reaction score
I haven’t driven a TRX but they are wicked fast. I am running the Level 3 map for now, and it’s definitely a noticeable improvement. One thing that’s nice about the JB4 is that it doesn’t mess with the ECU, so it’s undetectable. I may do some logging and ask them for a custom tune down the road. I was intrigued that in the Lethal video they ran through all of the maps on pump gas. I guess these new cars are smart enough not to blow themselves up or melt down with detonation, though. I’m anxious to see the future performance upgrades as they come out for the Braptor.

What are your thoughts on the catch can that Lethal and UPR have out?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks! I did see that Lethal Performance video where they dyno'd it through the different settings. Looks like a decent bump on level 3 with pump gas. I assume that is what you are running since it seems like levels 4 and 5 require higher octane fuel?

I know what you mean by "performance difference". These BRaptors are pretty quick, and they sure ride nice, but when you are accustomed to 700HP it's tough to get super excited about how quick they are. The Raptor in my profile pic is roughly 450HP at the wheel, and it has always been pretty fast for a big truck on 40" tires. However, I also have a TRX on 37s and I laugh every time I drive it because of how ridiculously fast it is for a big truck. I'm sure you feel the same way coming out of your Gen 1 Raptor with the JDM 700 kit.

Have you shared pics of both your Raptor and TRX here yet?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I haven’t driven a TRX but they are wicked fast. I am running the Level 3 map for now, and it’s definitely a noticeable improvement. One thing that’s nice about the JB4 is that it doesn’t mess with the ECU, so it’s undetectable. I may do some logging and ask them for a custom tune down the road. I was intrigued that in the Lethal video they ran through all of the maps on pump gas. I guess these new cars are smart enough not to blow themselves up or melt down with detonation, though. I’m anxious to see the future performance upgrades as they come out for the Braptor.

I can't remember, but did you trade in your GEN 1 for the Braptor?

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I haven't actually looked at either catch cans yet. Been too busy with other projects, but I'll probably take a look at those before too long.