Bronco has a size problem

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm glad its big. I've never really been a fan of the width of the Wranglers. They are great for tree trail riding, but for overall use, it just feels to small. Glad Ford made the Bronco overall bigger then their Jeep counterparts.

TRW22

Reaction score
Interesting article. I heard about a width problem in their paint booth now this article talks to a height problem with the suspension in assembly line and how they resolved by mod center raising the suspension an inch after assembly.
the-ford-bronco-raptor-is-too-damn-big-1848425612

Bigger the better for me. I would be doing some off roading in it but being honest, it will be on the street more. So size and comfort is more important to me then the ability to sneak by tree lines in a skinner frame.

OP
OP
LuckyKnuckle36

LuckyKnuckle36

Reaction score
I'm glad its big. I've never really been a fan of the width of the Wranglers. They are great for tree trail riding, but for overall use, it just feels to small. Glad Ford made the Bronco overall bigger then their Jeep counterparts.
Totally agree, you need width for high speed stability and it looks badass too :)

OP
OP
LuckyKnuckle36

LuckyKnuckle36

Reaction score
This was an RTR Bronco at Sema. I wish the Bronco Raptor had a wide body fender rather than just the large flares.
1643318886106.png

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This was an RTR Bronco at Sema. I wish the Bronco Raptor had a wide body fender rather than just the large flares.
View attachment 116

I do to. Wish they put the time to make it all one, rather then just adding in a plastic fender. I don't mind what they do have now on the Bronco Raptor, but I would have loved it even more if they widened the fenders.

OP
OP
LuckyKnuckle36

LuckyKnuckle36

Reaction score
Plastic fenders can be replace when you scratch them up. Permanent ones cost a lot of money to fix. Off road you scratch the fenders.
true but as wide as they had to go you could of done a nice wide body fender and flares as well. Would have looked a lot better but wont fit in the paint booth at the Ranger factory sooo...

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
true but as wide as they had to go you could of done a nice wide body fender and flares as well. Would have looked a lot better but wont fit in the paint booth at the Ranger factory sooo...

Do you think they would have gone wider on the fenders if it could have fit? I'm think they may have just said that to avoid the hate on them.

Last edited:

jzweedyk

Reaction score
Adding wider body flairs would also add extra cost. The Braptor has the same body and fenders as the regular Broncos, so there is saving in numbers. While I am not in love with the look, for me function is more important. The fact is that even if somebody doesn't like it, it will be a special vehicle. Like saying you don't like the look of the new Corvette, it doesn't matter.

OP
OP
LuckyKnuckle36

LuckyKnuckle36

Reaction score
Do you think they would have gone wider on the fenders if it could have fit? I'm think they may have just said that to avoid the hate on them.
I do, I actually think they would have done a wide body fender if fit in their plant. As it is they created a two-position shock mount bracket that holds the rear axle an inch higher than normal, preventing the rear suspension from reaching full extension. Then reposition at the end of assembly.

805BroncoRaptor

Golden Ticket Holder
Reaction score
I’m good with the fenders. Sure they aren’t the sleekest. But I’ll take function over vanity. They’re removable and replaceable. Need them to match? Then paint them.

Aftermarket fiberglass wide body fenders will be available soon enough, but I’d rather not. There’s a reason desert trucks don’t test with them on… they’re a disposable part that gets destroyed 9 times out of 10.

Most Jeep owners don’t run painted fender flares either…

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I’m good with the fenders. Sure they aren’t the sleekest. But I’ll take function over vanity. They’re removable and replaceable. Need them to match? Then paint them.

Aftermarket fiberglass wide body fenders will be available soon enough, but I’d rather not. There’s a reason desert trucks don’t test with them on… they’re a disposable part that gets destroyed 9 times out of 10.

Exactly why I like them. Removable/replaceable/paintable. I like you said, there will be someone that fabs up aftermark wide body fenders for the Bronco Raptor too. Tons of options.

BRAndrew

Reaction score

Are you doing anything with your fenders when you get yours?

Iceman

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Interesting article. I heard about a width problem in their paint booth now this article talks to a height problem with the suspension in assembly line and how they resolved by mod center raising the suspension an inch after assembly.
Wonder if this causes the production to be more expensive to make the BRaps because of it being out of the specs on the assembly line?

Spaulding

Reaction score
Don't think this "size" issue will bother anyone that plans on getting a Raptor. Bronco owners know the size barrier that comes with these and an extra few inches is not a big issue

Rick

Reaction score
Adding wider body flairs would also add extra cost. The Braptor has the same body and fenders as the regular Broncos, so there is saving in numbers. While I am not in love with the look, for me function is more important. The fact is that even if somebody doesn't like it, it will be a special vehicle. Like saying you don't like the look of the new Corvette, it doesn't matter.
I don’t think the fenders are the same. But Ford has done a really cool thing by making the fenders a bolt on item that can switched for customization.

OP
OP
LuckyKnuckle36

LuckyKnuckle36

Reaction score
Yes , but got to say the flares don’t bother me as much as when I first seen it . I hear it’s much better in person from video of walk arounds .
Well we don't have a choice so I agree they grow on ya. Still prefer a true wide body with smaller flares but the assembly line and paint booth at the Ranger plant couldnt handle it...