3.0 reliability

raptorusmaximus

Reaction score
I was at a car show this weekend and there was a mechanic who works at a ford dealer. He was relaying how often he sees bronco's in and especially explorer ST's for engine problems, he really doesn't like the 3.0 I have a gen 1 with 180k on it and the only issue I've had with the engine was cracked valve covers. I suspect this engine won't have the longevity the 6.2 does.
Has anyone else heard bad things regarding the 3.0?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I cant same much about the 3.0 but I haven't had any issues with my 3.5 in my Raptor( besides the cam phasers fix). Did he say what were the normal issues he has seen?

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The 3.0 in the Explorer ST has huge tuning potential and the 3.0 holds up very well. Rarely, do you see issues with the engine, even when pushed 100whp over stock. I've owned 2 ST's and they are solid.

And both you had fully tuned? Welcome to the forum and great first post!!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Mine were not, however, I'm in all of the ST Forums and familiar with that aspect.

Good to hear. My 3.5 EB has been great. I have over 50k miles on and haven't had any issues with it, besides the known cam phasers issue. I still haven't tuned it and but on FRF, several have with not alot of issues. I would think the 3.0 would be the same.